(03:29): 41% of Baby Boomers in the U.S. Have No Retirement Savings
- 41% of baby boomers have no retirement savings, emphasizing the importance of looking beyond a savings number.
- Retirement success isn’t solely determined by your savings.
(05:06): The Amount of Money You Have Saved is Not the Most Important Number in Your Retirement Plan
- Taxes are a significant factor in retirement planning.
- Retirement planning is not one-size-fits-all; each person’s situation is different.
(06:45): Most Americans Will Pay Tax on Social Security
- Taxes can significantly impact your retirement income.
- 85% of Social Security benefits can be taxable for many retirees.
- The net income after taxes is what truly matters.
(08:11): Inflation is Not the Most Important Number in Your Retirement Plan
- Inflation is a critical factor in retirement planning.
- Using a conservative inflation estimate is essential to ensure your plan remains resilient.
(10:58): The Most Important Number in Your Retirement Plan Is Your Budget
- Your budget is the cornerstone of your retirement plan.
- Understanding your income, goals, and expenses is crucial for successful retirement planning.
- A budget worksheet can help you gain control of your finances.
(15:50): What to Do if You Are 10 Years Away from Retirement
- The last 10 years before retirement are crucial for maximizing savings.
- Consider Roth IRAs and Roth 401(k)s as tax-efficient options.
- Where you save your retirement money is just as important as how much you save.
(18:22): The Benefits of Using a Roth 401(k) vs. a Traditional 401(k)
- Roth accounts offer tax benefits, especially in retirement.
- Roth 401(k)s provide control over your funds in retirement.
(20:01): Do You Want to Get Taxed on the Seed or the Harvest?
- Planning for taxes is vital in retirement.
- Taxes can erode your retirement savings if not managed strategically.
(21:43): Roth Can Be a Great Option – But Not for Everybody
- Roth accounts have upfront tax costs but offer significant tax benefits in the long run.
- Balancing your mix of pre-tax and Roth savings is essential.
(24:10): What Are the Elements of a Solid Budget in Retirement
- A solid retirement budget considers income sources, goals, and expenses.
- It includes estimated expenses, inflation adjustments, and tax considerations.
- Optimizing your tax strategy is crucial for long-term wealth preservation.
(27:04): Why You Should Optimize Your Tax Strategy
- Optimizing your tax strategy can help you keep more of your wealth.
- Many people overlook the importance of optimizing their tax situation.
(30:41): Have You Accounted For Medicare Costs in Your Budget?
- Medicare costs can vary significantly based on income.
- Understanding and planning for Medicare expenses is essential.
(32:15): What Are the Elements of a Solid Budget in Retirement?
- Transportation costs can be underestimated in retirement.
- Home maintenance and renovation expenses should be factored into your budget.
- Financial assistance to family members can impact your retirement plan.
(34:48): Are You Retired or Retiring Soon?
- Working with a fiduciary advisor can provide personalized retirement planning.
- A consultation can help you understand your retirement options.
(36:13): Travel Expenses
- Travel expenses often increase in retirement.
- Planning for travel and having flexible spending arrangements is essential.
(37:57): Dining Out Expenses
- Dining out expenses may rise in retirement as retirees have more leisure time.
- Monitoring dining expenses and adjusting your budget is important.
(39:21): Flexibility in Your Budget
- Retirement budgets may change over time, so flexibility is crucial.
- Different stages of retirement may require adjustments in spending priorities.
(42:34): The Importance of Having a Retirement Plan
- Having a well-structured retirement plan is essential for financial confidence.
- Aligning your values and goals with your spouse can improve financial harmony.
(44:13): Get Your Retirement Planning Checklist
- The retirement planning checklist can help you assess your readiness for retirement.
- A retirement consultation can provide personalized guidance and clarity.
- Reap Financial offers expert assistance in retirement planning and tax optimization.